(Don’t tell my wife I did this: I like to see how long it takes before she notices such changes.)
Okay so ever since we moved in to this place 13 years ago we’ve had to put up with this:
… we have to pull the dryer out several inches. Why? Because whatever lazy, incompetent idiot installed the set in the first place thought that cutting one hole in the floor and running all the pipes through it was the way to go. Viz:
Which put the washer drain directly behind the dryer vent. Basically that means a couple of inches for the washer drain and four more for the dryer vent before you get to the back of the dryer. If you push the dryer back the vent is throttled and won’t flow full capacity. That’s not good.
As you all know I’m “Mr. Lazy” and so I just left the dryer pulled out all this time. Really. I did. Moving it back and forth is a pain (literally) and also increases the risk of damaging the (cheap) vent hose. Well I finally spent a few days and a few dollars to sort it out. (In fact I had most of the materials around already, but there’s always some expense unforeseen.) Viz:
One thing I was dealing with is the fact that the washer drain goes back to the ‘uphill’ side of the gray plastic (not used anymore material that predates ABS and PVC) main drain line, and then goes 90 degrees down into the top. Okay that’s not how it should be done, but to fix it completely … I’d end up tearing out all the drain lines right to the septic tank and starting over. Even the vent stack is in the wrong place!
Anyway I added a union so I could swivel the lateral towards the new location and then added 3″ more to that section so the vertical would come up in the right spot. Also secured it better. It was not as easy at it should have been because frankly my bad vision was causing trouble with seeing in low light in the crawl space and reading the tape measure, et cetera. I more or less did it by feel and by guess and hoped for enough tolerances that it would work out. It did.
Now the dryer vent was a different kind of fun as I had to cut back into the wall to get another 4″ of room so the tube can bend gradually down into the crawl space and not be crushed by the dryer pushed back inside the closet. I also changed it to the metalic style tubing which should last longer than the white vinyl. We’ll see. And of course I cleaned all the lint out of the 14′ of metal ducting that takes it to the outside. Believe me, the best way to vent a dryer is as short and straight as possible; any bends significantly reduce the flow and the longer the duct the more time lint has to settle out inside the pipe – creating a potential fire hazard. This one still has too many bends in it, but there’s nothing that can be done about it in any practical sense. Just have to keep it cleaned out.
Anyway the laundry pair now looks like this:
And when not in use you can do this:
It’s frustrating knowing how to do things like this but being in a physical state that makes any such task more difficult and painful. That’s why I’ve put this off so long. There’s another top secret project planned but that one will have to go even slower because it has greater disaster potential. Also I don’t have most of the pieces for it just laying around.